Thursday, July 2, 2009

Getting settled at home

Yesterday we stopped in town at one of the markets. I have NEVER seen so many clothes and undergarments for sale in all my life. That is no joke! But as we were winding out way around through the many paths of this market I happened to see cloth for sale. Found just what I wanted for the kitchen...




It is actually a red and black plaid 12 foot length of material for a corte (woman's skirt). Got a few more touches that are needed to complete the kitchen but it's coming along. Today, even the house smelled like home as I baked hokey pokeys for the first time. Gotta get the plain four and gas oven figured out better but the cookies are good anyway.

One of things David really wanted in a house was some yard. Now it's not much but it is some. And last week, even before we had unpacked all the suitcases, I found David outside in the dirt! The plants and grass are beginning to grow. It won't be too long, it will actually be a beautiful garden area!


One of David's BIG projects this week was setting up the office. Monday we drove to Office Depot in the capital to purchase the two desks and chairs. Since partical board doesn't handle the rain too well, we had all the boxes wrapped in saran wrap, put them in the back of the truck, covered and tied them down with the tarp, and headed home to beat the afternoon rain. We arrived home, got the boxes in the house and the rain came. Thank you Lord for your blessings! My desk had 12 pieces and David was able to put it together fairly quickly. Then he opened his...41 pieces!! Needless to say it took a little longer to put together than mine did. Now comes the BIG job of organizing all the stuff to make it a very functional office.


The other fun thing that I did today is wash clothes! Many many thanks to those of you who helped supply the washer and dryer and stove.

4 comments:

The Whites said...

sounds like it is coming together well! I know you are glad, ha. Can't wait to see it.

David and Rebecca said...

Hokey Pokeys?!? Those are my fav!! Everything looks so great!! I love the clay pot on the cabinets too...the kitchen is really looking great. The desks are very nice too...glad Dad was able to get them together - no missing bolt! :) Can't wait to come see it! Maybe it won't be too long. Love ya!

Mike and Miriam Adams said...

Looks great! Wish my house smelled like hokey pokeys right now...but as Dad says "there's a way to make that happen..." I know, I know! :)

Can't wait to see it in person. Bec and I may have to re-decorate with some orange and blue rather than that red and black in the kitchen! :)

Love you!

1jordan1 said...

Love your view. Kitchen looking great. Garden may soon look great! Need me to send some cuts from Mama's flowers? Had to grab my cookbook and turn to page 97 to see how to make hokey pokeys. Sounds delicious & simple to make. Bet Mike will get some soon. Love yall.