Saturday, March 19, 2011

Submission

Recently, when confronted with two options for us when we return to the field in January 2012, we struggled with the choice to make.


Our hearts were first stirred for Guatemala in the eighties, and we have prayed for, visited, brought others to share the work and vision, have taught/preached missions, and rejoiced as we saw others develop a heart for and ministry in missions around the world.
“Have not I commanded you? Be strong and be courageous.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged for
the Lord your God will be with you, wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9

When the door opened for us to continue our ministry in foreign missions, it was an extra blessing that it was in Guatemala. We delighted in doing the work of researching the indigenous of Guatemala, riding the back roads, the high cliff sides, the dry winding trails, the slippery muddy ruts looking for those areas of lostness with little or no Gospel witness. It seemed only natural that upon completion of that work here in Guatemala that we would move to southern Mexico to continue research.

Lord, send me, O send me forth, I pray;
The need is great, Thy call I will obey;
Thy love compels me I must go
I’m willing, ready, longing to go.

We were totally unprepared for the entrance of another possibility of ministry. The opportunity to remain in Guatemala and work as Catalytic Connectors, connecting US and Guatemalan churches for the purpose of long term partnerships to plant and develop doctrinally sound reproducing churches was a surprise and a bit of an inconvenience. Now we had to seek God’s direction, not just take the next step.

Not what I wish to be, nor where I wish to be,
For who am I that I should choose my way?
The Lord shall choose for me, ‘tis better far I know;
So let Him bid me go, or stay.

This new opportunity would be a step out, a challenge for us.  The move to Mexico, though leaving the familiar territory to move to the unfamiliar, the job itself was the same confidently familiar research.  With over 140 indigenous groups without reliable research, the need is great!  Our neighbor’s question, “Is God finished with you in Guatemala?” caused us to pause and reflect.  Who will reach these areas we researched where little or no vibrant Gospel witness grows?  With the Baptist mission force redirecting personnel to darker areas of the world with less than 2% evangelical witness, who will partner with Guatemalan believers to continue the task?  In many areas, doctrine has become a mixture of everything so that Truth becomes unrecognizable.  Guatemalans need to be challenged to be doctrinally sound, to reach their own people, to reproduce strong churches that continue to preach the Gospel of Salvation around the world.  The need is great!  It involves so much more than we have done before.  It is a massive undertaking of researching, training, teaching, developing, praying, growing, going…oh, Lord it is too much!
“But now be strong…declares the Lord.
Be strong…. Be strong…declares the Lord, and work.
For I am with you, declares the Lord Almighty.
This is what I covenanted with you when you came out…
And my Spirit remains among you. Do not fear.” Haggai 2:4, 5

Many have covered us in prayer, asking God to give neon lights to light the way. God continues to work and bring release and peace. We will return to Guatemala after our stateside assignment to continue the work for which He brought us.

No sweeter joy could my heart know
Than this that He’s called me
To spread abroad His wondrous grace
That makes blind hearts to see.

Songs include:  Lord, Send Me by Wilda Savage and Submission by unknown







1 comment:

R Cook said...

David and Glynis, glad to know that you all will be returning to Guate and that we'll still be able to see you once-in-a-while! Richard